Lutheran Hospital, 1904-1980

1904
  • Official dedication and opening of Lutheran Hospital on November 24, Thanksgiving Day.
1950
  • Internship program for medical education students begins.
1957
  • The fourth floor west wing, which houses the pediatrics unit, is remodeled.
1961
  • The first renal dialysis unit in Indiana is established.
1967
  • The community's first coronary care unit opens.
1970
  • Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the community's first coronary bypass surgery.
  • Physicians at Lutheran Hospital conduct the first coronary angiogram in the area.
  • Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the first total cemented-hip replacement in northeastern Indiana.
1971
  • The area's first scoliosis clinic opens.
1974
  • Physicians at Lutheran Hospital begin performing total knee-replacement surgeries.
  • The first Enterostomal Therapy Department in northeastern Indiana is created.
1975
  • First MoICU is used at Lutheran Hospital. It was custom-built on the chassis of a 23-foot motor home and especially designed for inter-hospital transport of critically ill patients of all ages with minimum risk placed in service.
1977
  • Northeastern Indiana's first pacemaker clinic,which serves children and adults in a 19-county region, opens.
  • The community's first mitral valve replacement surgery is conducted.
  • Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the first complete heart catheterization in northeastern Indiana.
  • A pediatrics presurgery program is initiated.
1979
  • The Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic is established as part of a nationwide network of hospital-affiliated MDA clinics.
  • A 24-hour, on-site Child Care Center opens.
  • The first dedicated inpatient cath lab and the first regional heart clinic are established.