Get Started on your Bariatric Journey
If time allows, before attending your scheduled bariatric seminar, follow these steps to help you jump start your journey. By completing all or parts of the steps prior to attending the informational seminar, you may experience a quicker scheduling process for your surgery.
Before attending an information seminar, please complete step one:
Step 1 - Verify insurance benefits
- Verify your bariatric benefits with your insurance company.
- Verify that Lutheran Hospital is a preferred provider and is in-network.
- Ask your insurance company what criteria you must meet for approval.
- Do you need to complete a medically supervised weight-loss program?
- Do you need a nutritional evaluation?
- Do you need to get any drug screens?
- What supporting documentation is needed?
- Ask your insurance company your deductible amount and/or out-of-pocket maximum.
- Remember to register for an informational seminar after you've verified your insurance. This is a required step. Call (260) 435-7844 to register.
Step 2 - Obtain a letter of medical necessity
- Obtain a letter of medical necessity and discuss requirements in step three with your primary care physician or specialist.
- Send to - Lutheran Bariatric Center, 7970 W. Jefferson Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46804 or fax to (260) 435-6906
Step 3 - Collect medical records
Once you have verified your bariatric health benefit, proceed with these next steps:
- Sleep study
- If you have sleep apnea and are using a CPAP or BiPAP machine, please provide the sleep test record with your machine's settings.
- A cancer screening colonoscopy or other forms of screening is highly recommended. Beginning at age 50, it is recommended that both men and women have a colonoscopy screening. Some specialty organizations recommend beginning colonoscopy screenings at age 45. Colonoscopies will need to be repeated in 3-5 years if polyps or other issues were found.
- Cardiac testing
- Let your cardiologist or primary care provider know that you will be having bariatric surgery. Inquire if you need any further cardiac testing to proceed with surgery.
- Pap smear and mammogram
- Are you up-to-date on your pap smear and screening mammogram based on your provider's recommendations? If not, please have the tests completed.
- Other medical conditions
- Acid Reflux - If you have acid reflux that requires medication, an upper endoscopy is required. If more than a year has passed since your last endoscopy, it may need to be repeated.
- Diabetes - Consult with your physician to ensure that your diabetes is in control with an A1C of 9 or less.
- Other conditions - If you are seeing any other specialist like a nephrologist or pulmonologist, you may need to be cleared for surgery by these providers. Inquire if you need any further testing to proceed with surgery.
Step 4 - Schedule a psychological evaluation
Schedule a psychological evaluation with a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist if required by your insurance company. Check with your insurance company to determine if a mental health provider is available through your plan.
If you don't see what you're looking for, give us a call at (260) 435-7844 (260) 435-7844