Comprehensive Stroke Center
Strokes destroy two million brain cells every minute.* The quicker you receive treatment, the better your chances are of reversing the damage. Call 911 at the first signs of stroke - Northern Indiana's first certified Comprehensive Stroke Center at Lutheran Hospital is ready the moment you arrive.
Our certified team uses advanced clot-removal treatment options and the latest in technology so we can coordinate care and begin treatment procedures when it matters most. The region's first comprehensive stroke center - ready to fight for you, day and night.
What is a comprehensive stroke center?
- Acute stroke team available 24/7, including
- Advanced imaging technology
- Efficient triage, diagnosis and treatment within the emergency department
- Stroke-dedicated beds and neuro ICU
- Multidisciplinary team trained in stroke-specific care
- Rehabilitation services offered seven days a week including inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy
In 2018, for the sixth straight year, Lutheran achieved the Stroke Gold Plus designation. To qualify for this recognition, hospitals must meet quality measures developed to reduce the time between the patient's arrival at the hospital and treatment with the clot-buster tissue plasminogen activator, or tPA, the primary drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat ischemic stroke.
If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911.
* Saver, J.L. (2006) Time is Brain.
BE FAST was developed by Intermountain Healthcare, as an adaptation of the FAST model implemented by the American Stroke Association. Reproduced with permission from Intermountain Healthcare. Copyright 2011, Intermountain Healthcare.